Jumpsuits have been popular for a long time. And why not? They’re an easy one-and-done fashion piece for instant style. You can dress them up or down. You can wear them on vacation, to a dinner date, or to an elegant occasion. They are truly a versatile workhorse even woman needs in her closet. How to wear a jumpsuit, however, takes some thoughtful consideration.
I’ve styled jumpsuits in several posts, including Styling a Floral Jumpsuit for All Occasions. Except for the occasional difficulties when undressing to use the restroom, jumpsuits are an easy choice.
Choosing the right jumpsuit, then, takes some consideration to ensure it fits well, feels comfortable, and is flattering.
How to Wear a Jumpsuit
Here are some tips to keep in mind while shopping for a jumpsuit:
Choosing the Right Jumpsuit
- Find the right length/proportion for your body. For me, I almost always have to go with a petite size or the proportion is off. I also hate paying for hemming and tailoring!
- Make sure the style accentuates your waist. This will give you shape and ensure that the jumpsuit doesn’t overwhelm your body.
- When in doubt, start with a solid color. A solid color elongates your shape and provides a nice clean line. It’s also easy to dress a solid jumpsuit up or down!
- Consider a jacket. Except in the summertime, you will probably require some kind of jacket. A blazer over a jumpsuit is a classic look. Choose a longer blazer with slim-fitting legs, and a cropped blazer with a wide-leg style. The same holds true for a cardigan or even a denim jacket.
- Wear heels with a wider-leg jumpsuit. Except for our taller friends, adding some height is needed to offset the wide legs and create that long look we are going for.
Two Options for Styling a Jumpsuit
Lace Cropped Jumpsuit in Black
With the right jumpsuit, you can create an elegant statement. Again, a solid color gives that classic look and is so easy to accessorize. Here I’m styling a lace cropped jumpsuit.
You can see that the proportion works for my body shape. It comes in petite, which means that the cropped length falls where it is supposed to, not at my ankles!
The lace and frills at the top are really pretty and provide that needed detail to a solid black jumpsuit. The cropped length makes them fun and super comfy and it has pockets! Woohoo! Don’t we all love that?!
These tan suede strappy sandals have been my go-to for any time I want an elegant neutral shoe. The block heel makes them super comfy despite the height.
One of the tips above is to consider what type of jacket to wear. Here, I went for a contrast by adding an edgy, snakeskin print moto jacket. You will read all about it soon!
Classic Blue Jumpsuit
This classic blue jumpsuit is gorgeous. This is one of those colors that is flattering on everyone. It has a flattering waist and wide shoulders so you can wear your regular bra. The tie waist provides the needed definition.
OK, it does violate the length rule I shared above. My Trunk Club stylist sent me a regular as apparently they don’t have this in petite. So, I will have to decide if I’m willing to have it hemmed. In the reviews, even some taller gals found it long, so something to keep in mind. Since the legs are wide, it definitely requires heels.
The jersey fabric is beautiful! You can roll this in a ball and it shows barely any wrinkles. If you are planning a trip sometime in the near future–or even this summer–this is a great piece to pack!
The jewelry added here is by Gorjana. You’ve seen this Laguna adjustable lariat necklace in several posts, as well as these gold hoop earrings. My husband got me the Laguna adjustable bracelet to match for Valentine’s Day. It’s a pretty, delicate piece. All of these pieces are so versatile and I wear them often!
There are so many jumpsuits to choose from this season. Just keep these tips for wearing a jumpsuit in mind as you shop, and you will find one that works for you!